Striking a pose during an intense chess game!
🎉Welcoming: Our newest family to the Revolution Community. Please join us in welcoming Alice Rosen, grade 11, and her mother, Julie!
💚 Sharing: We have raised $308,197 toward our goal of $1 million. Help support Revolution School as a donor and a fundraiser. It’s easy! Please share the link to our giving page or sign up to become a fundraiser for our school. Simply set your own goal and share your personalized fundraising page with friends and family!
🙏 Appreciating: January is National Thank You Month! Revolution is celebrating gratitude: “What have you done for others in the last week?” What have others done for you? What have you done for yourself as an act of kindness?
🎂 Celebrating: January Birthdays: Maria, January 4th; Kysiir, January 23rd; Aveon, January 25th!
🍪 Craving: Girl Scout Cookie Sale Our Revolution entrepreneur, Tasneem A, is selling GS cookies. If you are interested, please email Tas at email@example.com.
MLK Teach-In, Monday, January 23 at Friends Select! We will meet at 8:30 am Friends Select School and dismiss students at the close of day from 17th & 1651, Benjamin Franklin Pkwy. If you have questions, please reach out to Sydnie@revolultionschool.org.
Student Leadership Council President & Vice President Elected
Tasneem Abdullah was elected President of the Student Leadership Council. Maria Moore will be Vice President, and Mae Abdulrahman is the 9th and 10th grade representative. Congratulations!
The Student Leadership Council has met twice and will begin meeting every Wednesday at lunch. The meetings are open to all students. Look for updates from the Council in future newsletters.
Council will provide a crucial student voice on all sorts of issues and will continue to build community culture. This leadership team will plan events and senior activities as well as run weekly community meetings.
Help us spread the word about our Discovery Day Open House! If you know a family that would be a great fit for Revolution School, encourage them to join us on February 1. Prospective families can register for the event or schedule time for a visit on our NEW events page!
Call for Google reviews! This National Thank You month, we invite you to share your gratitude with a Google review that helps us stand out as we recruit students for the upcoming school year. It’s easy–from your smartphone, type Revolution School into Google Maps. Scroll down to “Rate & Review” and give us a start rating (we’re hoping for 5!) and leave a comment.
Sign up for student/family conferences on Friday, January 27!
If you cannot make any of the meeting times listed in the sign ups, please contact your student’s advisor to make an appointment.
MLK Teach-In, Monday, January 23 at Friends Select! This Monday
Re-enrollment contracts for grades 9-11 will be distributed at Student Parent Conferences. We ask that you complete and return by February 15. Thank you!
Senior Portraits will be taken by Holly James-Gordon, HJG Through My Eyes on Tuesday, February 7. Please book your senior’s appointment and choose your graduation package HERE.
Community Gathering on February 6! Please sign up to bring a dish HERE.
Thursday January 26th will be our second Opportunity Expo. Community partners from Saxby’s, FarmerJawn, Circular Philly, DumpNRoll, Seeing Happy and Broad Street Ministry will join us to share opportunities, learn about our students, and uncover potential collaborations. Students will have the opportunity to engage the interviewing skills they’ve been building with our Report for America journalist Sarah Huffman.
Planet Fitness partners with Revolution School in 2023! As part of the Wellness Class, every student has been gifted a PF Black Card membership thanks to Carlos Aponte and his extraordinary work with We Love Philly!
MLK Event: On MLK Day, Revolution School Students teamed up with We Love Philly at New Joy Baptist Church with 215 volunteers and together made 2000 care packages to be donated locally right here in Philadelphia to women coming home from incarceration.
Heart Dissection: Biology students dissected sheep hearts to learn about how the heart works, how the blood flows and why it is our most important organ.♥️
- Parents of Seniors: Please complete the FAFSA financial aid form by the end of January. Details are here. (Some colleges will require parents to complete the more detailed CSS Profile form as well as the FAFSA.) If you have questions about either form, please reach out firstname.lastname@example.org or the FAFSA support line 800-433-3243.
- Students can also apply for merit scholarships to help defray college costs. Here is a list of trusted websites for scholarship searching.
- Herb it Forward Scholarship Opportunity & Application: To provide financial assistance to students who have an incredibly optimistic spirit, a desire to help others, and a passion for giving back to their communities.
- How to Bring More Ease, Purpose, & Joy to your College Admission Process in 2023 Part 1: Wednesday, January 11th, Part 2: Thursday, January 12th 7:00 pm Eastern Time. (This is a free educational webinar offered by College Essay Guy for parents and students. Recordings will be emailed after the event.) Zoom link
- NACAC Virtual Fair February 19, 1:00-6:00 pm
- Credential Pathway Program Options for Revolution Students 2022-2023
- Wednesday, January 25: Quarter 2 Progress Reports sent home
- Friday, January 27: Student-led Parent/Advisor Conferences (In person)
- Monday, February 6: Community Gathering 5:30 – 7:00
2022-2023 Academic Calendar
Access our full community calendar HERE.
You can also subscribe via iCal.