🎉 Celebrating: The many students with perfect attendance! We’re introducing a monthly celebration for students who are on time, and present every day in October!
🌟Wondering: How many families will join us for our Revolution High School Tryouts from 10:00am-12:00pm on Saturday, October 22nd?
💡Discovering: Lunch options for the Revolution students~working with Philly restaurants to create budget-friendly options on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Reminder: School Will Be Closed:
- Revolution School will be closed Monday, October 10th for Indigenous Peoples’ Day
- Half Day for Students (Quarter 1 Faculty report writing) on Friday, October 28th
Call for Google Reviews:
As part of our admissions outreach efforts, all current families and students are invited to write a Google review in support of Revolution School. Positive feedback from our current families really helps us to attract new families. And it’s easy! Just look us up on Google Maps and scroll down to leave a review. Your support means so much!
In Environmental Science, students started their lab project, formulating a scientific question that will be answered using data they will collect. To kick off the labs, students spent time at the Philadelphia Zoo crafting questions, hearing from zoologists, and conducting observations. During the Zoo fieldwork, students:
- Had the opportunity to see first hand how zoo staff support animals as they looked for signs of captive behaviors,
- Looked at ways our Zoo is trying to ensure the most fulfilling “captive” experience for the animals,
- Discussed with a Philadelphia Zoo facilities executive the ongoing debate on the effectiveness of Zoos being helpful or more harmful for animals housed within them.
This dovetailed nicely with their in class debate about whether zoos are helpful or harmful for animals, and which animals show the most success in reintroduction into the wild. The students will present their labs – from inquiry to learning – to the Revolution community.
In Spanish, students are learning how to have conversations with new people they meet. The units they have completed so far include “¿Cómo Te Llamas?,” “¿Cuántos Años Tienes?,” and “¿De Dónde Eres?” We are using the Vista Higher Learning Descubre curriculum, which allows students to do individual work and take assessments in their VHL portals for grades. We also use the curriculum to guide collective class learning and review. To kick off Hispanic Heritage Month on September 15th, we learned that various Latin American countries celebrate independence on the 15th and 16th, and we also looked at modern Indigenous Latine activists who criticize these celebrations of “independence” from colonizers. Every week we look at a meme in Spanish. Check out the example above.
FAFSA Is Open!
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is open as of October 1. Filing a FAFSA is the single most important thing you can do to get money for college. It’s the gateway to more than $150 billion in college grants, work-study funds, and federal student loans, as well as certain state-based aid. Here is a Guide to Completing the FAFSA. Please let Joel know if you have any questions.
Here are some helpful resources on college affordability:
Philadelphia National College Fair
The Philadelphia National College Fair is Sunday, October 30, 2022,11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, 1101 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19107. Meet representatives from two-year and four-year colleges, nursing schools, business schools and trade schools.
- We are off to a great start and are already recruiting for next year! We need your help! Do you know a current 8th-11th grader who would be a great fit for Revolution School? Help us spread the word about our upcoming “tryouts.”
- Mural Arts Festival: To kick off Mural Arts Month, Mural Arts Philadelphia will host Mural Arts Fest – a free interactive day filled with live art, music, dancing, creativity, The Flavor of Family food truck, and fun – on Saturday, October 22, 2022, from 12 – 4 pm at LOVE Park.
- Monday, October 10: School Closed: Indigenous Peoples’ Day
- Friday, October 28: Quarter 1-Half Day for Students (Faculty report writing)
- Wednesday, November 2: Quarter 1- Progress Reports
- Thursday, November 3- Friday, November 4: Student-led Parent/Advisor Conferences (In person)
- Monday, November 14: Community Meeting/Potluck Gathering, 5:30-7:00 pm, Revolution School